Sunday, June 18, 2006

Today we went to an extended family event in Ogden for Father's Day.

One of the men there is a brother of a relative who isn't really a relative, but part of the "mispucha". After chatting briefly he asked what I DO, y'know, the thing that people in other states ask each other upon first meeting, instead of asking "what religion are you?"

Not that the question will bring people closer than the Utah version, as this man, after I told him I work with the Democratic Party, got green in the face. "Well, " he said, "I guess it takes all kinds..."

"What do you mean?" I pressed.

"Oh, just that Democrats are anti American."

Instead of getting into a political argument questioning his perceptions of reality, I just responded "Yup, that's why I do it, I'm anti American."

I've decided that is the best way to deal with people whose minds are firmly locked, and who appear to have an IQ equal or below that of our current President. Agree with them, have a little fun with my passive agression. It saves my energy. I don't have to discuss issues with people who are using pejoratives.

Especially works with men who are attempting to get a rise out of me when they make broad anti female comments. Just agree with tongue in cheek and straight face. ("Women do...blah blah." Me: "You're right, they never should have given us the vote.")

No comments: