Friday, August 25, 2006

Reaction formation:
A defense mechanism whereby an unconscious and unacceptable impulse or feeling that would cause anxiety is converted into its opposite so it can become conscious and be expressed. For example, a person adopts a set of attitudes and behaviors that are the opposite of his or her true dispositions...

If my child died in a senseless stupid pointless war in a country that did not attack us and in which we are the guards against a civil war...My reaction formation: I love our country, I love our President, and I love this war.

It's a normal response, it's a human response. I can't begin to imagine the torture of losing a child, and to lose a child for a lie would be unbearable.

But to tell me that I can't support the soldiers and marines in this war and not support the war...

I love my country. I love being an American. I believe we have the duty to protest against the leaders in our government who are acting in a manner which is contrary to true American values.

One of my most adored family members is in Iraq serving in the military. That is his job, he signed up for it. He knows that part of the reason we are there is economic.

I do not support the war in Iraq. It was an attack on a soverign nation. It was brought to us by motives that we will never know, motives that had nothing to do with the defense of this countries freedom.

Bring our children home. I hate this war. And I love and support all the young people who are fighting and being killed in that sand-filled hell.

1 comment:

Danubis The Concise said...

This is one of the best, most concise articles I have read summarizing my opinion of the war. Thank you for putting it in words.