Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Letter to my friend, Jill

Dear Jill,

Pete didn't win, and after the "victory" party last night, I was elated about a female speaker of the house, it's about damned time and it is too bad that it has to be a *story* if you catch my meaning...and we won the sheriff's race, and my legislative race (Phil Riesen) and a couple of Senate seats (State House)- we now have three openly gay legislators! And who knows how many in the closet???

Then I saw Pete and his wife, after he left the ballroom and his final speech and I broke down.

Okay, I was tired from working all fucking day on the get out the vote effort, I had thrown up, as I told you, and I wanted to be cute in front of all the other democrats..and Pete is such a mensch, and so loveable and genuine...so I started to cry. He held out his hand and said "It was so good to get to know you."

And I said "stop...you had me at 'I'm going to run for Senate..'."

Sheryl

1 comment:

Sage Vivant said...

What happened in this country's elections is reason for us to hop on one foot (doesn't matter which one) and dance until we can't stand up any longer. Sure, Utah could have shown the nation it has a few more brain cells, but it still showed that the state is no longer an overwhelmingly closed-minded, parochial, Republican, and generally unthinking enclave -- that real, passionate people live there, are mad as hell, and not gonna take it anymore. It's people like you, Sheryl, who helped to raise voter consciousness and confirm for the Democratic candidates that their goals and missions are appreciated.